Above red lipstick, purple lip colours reign as my “power colour” – my ultimate confidence-boosting shade. My love for purple lipstick began during a time when the selection for such a colour was very small. In fact, I only started out with two – and mind you, they were not easy to find. I even resorted to using a purple eyeliner or eyeshadow mixed with clear lip gloss. Back then, purple was considered a “weird” shade for a lipstick, something you would only buy for a Halloween party. Last year (2016), purple suddenly blew up. People started wearing it more often and brands jumped on the bandwagon and started producing their own purple shades. Can you imagine how delighted I was? It was heaven for me!
Anyway, in no particular order, here is my list of top picks for purple lipsticks:
- Maybelline Color Show lipstick in “403 Plum Perfect” – The subtle plum hue combined with the sheer formula makes this a great entry level lipstick to try out purple as it leans more towards pink.
- Wet n Wild Megalast lipstick in “908C Sugar Plum Fairy” – This drugstore dupe for MAC Rebel is a beautiful mix of purple and pink. It’s definitely a lot bolder and stronger than the previously mentioned lipstick.
- NYX Matte lipstick in “Aria” – Aria is very similar to WnW Sugar Plum Fairy, except it’s the slightest bit more purple/less pink.
- L.A. Colors Matte lipstick in “Amethyst” – This was my second purple lipstick. (My very first one was from Aido.) This was my first “true” purple lipstick; though, looking at it now next to my other purple lipsticks, it looks significantly lighter and more pastel. If my memory serves me right, this retailed for PHP 99 back then. It’s not the best formula out there, but I included it in this list because it’s a good option for when you’re not ready to invest in a tube of purple lipstick.
- The Body Shop Colour Crush lipstick in “120 Raspberry In Love” – This shimmery purple toned wine shade has a sheer formula which makes it both bold, yet wearable.
- Pink Sugar Matte lipstick in “Royals” – This is probably my favourite one! I love the deep purple shade and the matte formula. This is my most worn out of all my purple lipsticks. This reminds me of MAC “Heroine”.
- Flormar Pretty Cream & Glaze lipstick in “Aubergine” – True to its name, this shade is very reminiscent of an eggplant.
- 4u2 Lipaholic lipstick in “Lax 10” – This is a more purple version of Flormar Aubergine – meaning, it has a less of the slight reddish hue that Aubergine has. To the untrained eye, they’re practically twins.
- Ever Bilena Matte lipstick in “Vivid Violet” – Ever Bilena was my first brand of matte lipstick. So, I was delighted when they came out with a purple shade. I just had to get it! The formula seems to have changed since my last purchase many years ago. Anyway, it’s like a matte version of Flormar Aubergine.
- EB Advance Supreme lipstick in “Amethyst Rose” – I also picked up EB Vivid Violet’s sister, EB Advance Amethyst Rose. To be completely honest, I love the formula of this line more than the original matte lipsticks because they wear better on my dry lips. It’s a tad bit redder than Vivid Violet.
- Pink Sugar HD lipstick in “Such a Tease” – This isn’t a true bold purple; rather, it looks like a blend of purple, red, and brown. I can’t quite describe it. It is also metallic! It’s a very unique shade in my stash – a must have!
- Wet n Wild Megalast lipstick in “Vamp it Up” – This almost-black purple shade is very aptly named “Vamp it Up” due to its very vampy, gothic feel. Definitely not for the faint of heart! It’s a great dupe for MAC “Cyber”.
What is YOUR power colour? Also, would you give purple lipsticks a try? Let me know in the comments!